facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
%POST_TITLE% Thumbnail

Unclaimed Property: Nothing Better Than Found Money

Usually, we are accustomed to the state taking money away from us.  Let’s switch roles. Many people don’t know there is a way to get your money back that belongs to you.  For example, years ago, you may have set up an account and forgot about the final interest payment or dividend received after you withdrew the principal. Or, you may have been listed as a beneficiary on an account and the bank/insurance company could not locate you. It is likely that your money has turned into “unclaimed property” by the state.  Recently, under new legislation in Pennsylvania, property is considered unclaimed when the owner of the account leaves their money/property dormant over a 3 year period.  That money now belongs to the Pennsylvania Treasury, but that does not mean you can’t get it back.  Even if you have no idea if you have unclaimed property, it doesn’t hurt to check.  Follow these easy steps to possibly get your money back:

  • Search for Unclaimed Property: Click here to go to PA Treasury’s website.  Under the search tool, type in your first and last name and click submit.  If you see your name on the list, click it and press “Request Claim Form”.  The amount listed will either say “Over $100” or “Under $100”, so you will have to deal with the suspense before seeing the exact amount on your check!
  • Fill out State Claim Inquiry: Simply fill out the appropriate personal information and click “Generate Claim Form to Print”
  • Notarize: After your claim is printed, your signature will need to be notarization if your unclaimed property is over $100.  If you are local, you are in luck, our very own Michael Ptaszenski is a Notary!  Stop by the office and we’ll notarize your document and send the forms in for you.
  • Mail: Once the claim is signed and notarized, submit the form with a copy of either your driver’s license or signed social security card and mail it to “Pennsylvania Treasury Department, Bureau of Unclaimed Property, P.O. Box 1837, Harrisburg, PA 17105”

After following these steps, you should receive a check in the mail from the state. Like finding money in your couch, you may be pleasantly surprised to discover a large sum of money!    

Use the below links to file a claim in New Jersey, New York, Maryland or Connecticut:

New Jersey: http://www.unclaimedproperty.nj.gov/index.shtml

New York:  http://www.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/

Connecticut: http://www.ctbiglist.com/

Maryland: http://comptroller.marylandtaxes.com/Public_Services/Unclaimed_Property/Claim_Your_Property/