Now that we’ve closed on 2015, most of us are thinking about resolutions for 2016. The holidays are past and it’s time to get to work professionally and personally. Here are the top 10 New Years resolutions from last year.
- Lose Weight
- Getting Organized
- Spend Less, Save More
- Enjoy Life to the Fullest
- Staying Fit and Healthy
- Learn Something Exciting
- Quit Smoking
- Help Others in Their Dreams
- Fall in Love
- Spend More Time with Family
Since finances seem to always make the top 10 list we thought it would be helpful to share another list; Top 5 Things You Can Do To Keep Your Financial Resolutions.
- Build A Budget – We know this can be daunting, but putting your spending in writing is vital. Once you have your spending down you are more likely to stick to it and find areas to improve. For example, call your cable company and make sure you are getting the best deal. Or shop your auto and homeowners insurance. You’d be shocked how much you can save with little effort.
- Automate Your Savings – 401(k)s are typically the largest investment asset on balance sheets. The main reason being it’s out of site out of mind. It reduces your pay check and immediately gets invested. Replicate this by setting a date each month to draw from your checking account to fund college savings, debt payment plans, and your savings or investment account. You’ll be shocked at how quickly your net worth grows and how it doesn’t affect your lifestyle.
- Buy With A Purpose – You don’t have to buy something just because it’s on sale. Go with a list and know what you need ahead of time.
- Start Small – Ease into a resolution. They often fail because we set lofty goals.
- Have A Coach – We all need someone to hold us accountable. Work with a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ to build a plan and stick with it.
Happy New Year!